Blogs are used for a variety of reasons such as for personal blogging, publishing articles, opinions, or news updates. A blog is a website with regularly updated articles that are presented in chronological order.
A blog can be about a specific topic or cover a broad spectrum of topics based on the interests of the blogger. Some bloggers exclusively cover niche topics on their blogs whereas others don’t limit themselves to a single topic. The type of content published on a blog is in total control of the person who creates the blog, so it reflects the personality and interests of the blogger.
Blogger is a free blog publishing platform by Google to create blogs. Blogger blogs are hosted on a free Blogspot domain and can be used to start a blog on any topic.
Blogger is a popular choice among beginners to create a blog for its simplicity and easy learning experience. Blogs about any topic can be created using Blogger, also known as Blogspot, without any prior coding knowledge. This makes Blogspot a popular choice among beginners to learn blogging skills and create personal blogs.
If you are looking to start a blog without any costs involved, and no coding experience, then Blogger (Blogspot) is a good option to choose among many other blogging sites.
- Create a Blogspot Blog on Blogger
- Blogger Dashboard
- Blogspot Editor - Write a Blog Post
- Create Blog Pages
- Blogger Templates
- Blogger SEO
- Custom Domain for Blogspot Blogs
- Blogspot Blog Monetization
Create a Blogspot Blog on Blogger
Step 1 - Sign In
To create a Blogspot blog, first, open blogger.com site in your web browser and sign in with your google email id or click on the “Create Your Blog” button.
You will be asked to Login with your Gmail account or Create Account if you don’t already have one. Enter your Gmail email and password to sign in or create a new email id by following simple steps in the create account option.
Step 2 - Blog Name
Once you sign in to Blogger for the first time for creating a blog, you will be asked to choose a name for your blog. Blog Name is the main title of your website or blog and should reflect the content of your blog. Take some time to think about a good title as a blog name. something that you can share with others and use in long term.
- Enter the blog title in the input field and click on next to proceed to the next step of creating your blog.
- Think about what you want your blog to be about and what kind of posts you will be writing on your blog.
- Write down titles of blog post ideas or topics and see if your Blog title or name corresponds to the content.
- Try to choose a title that is related to the type of content you plan on posting to your blog.
- Don’t choose a long or overcomplicated blog name that is difficult to remember or spell.
- Choose an easy to remember blog name that’s easy to pronounce and spell out, so that people can refer to it easily.
Step 3 - Blog Address
After choosing a name for your blog you will have to find a suitable URL address of your Blogspot Blog. The blog address, or URL, is provided for free by Blogger and is in the form of example.blogspot.com on the Blogspot subdomain. Ideally, you will choose the same address as your blog name but if that address is not available then you will have to think of a different blog address that is not already taken by someone else.
URL of a blog is the web address where people will find your blog online. Therefore, it’s important to choose a URL that’s human-readable and coveys the contents of your blog to the audience. It also helps to add important keywords in the URL for search engine optimization. Here are general tips that you should consider when choosing a blog URL for your Blogspot blog;
- Keep it short and easy to read
- Include keywords in URL
- Don’t use trademarked or copyrighted works in the blog address.
- URLs with less than 12 characters are easy to remember, so prefer short URLs.
- The blog address should provide context about your blog’s content.
Step 4 - Display Name
After choosing the name and address of the blog, you have to confirm your Display Name, that is the name you want to use publicly as the blog’s author. This name is displayed in the About me widget on the blog and also on post pages as the author. You can choose any name you want, and it doesn’t have to be your real name.
Once you write the display name and click the Finish button you will be redirected to the blogger dashboard after your new blog is created.
Your Blogspot blog is manged using Blogger Dashboard. Once you have created a blog, you will be taken to the Blogger dashboard every time you login at Blogger[dot]com. All tools and settings required for managing a blog are available in the dashboard.
- The New Post button is used to open the editor to write and publish blog posts.
- Posts tab displays a list of all published and in draft blog posts.
- Stats show the number of page views and visitors to the blog for keeping track of blog performance.
- Comments on all your published posts are listed in the Comments section for review and moderation.
- The earnings tab is used to manage the AdSense link of your blog to display ads and earn money.
- The Pages tab includes a list of pages you have created for your blog and also a button to create a new blog page.
- The layout tab is used to customize and adjust the layout of the current theme.
- The theme tab shows the number of Blogger templates to change the look and feel of your blog and also allows you to upload custom themes.
- The settings tab is used to change most of the settings for your blog like title, description, custom domain, etc.
- Reading List shows posts from Blogspot blogs by other bloggers that you are following.
Blogspot Editor - Write a Blog Post
Blogger platform has a post creation tool for writing and publishing blog posts. Blogspot post editor can be used to create rich text blog posts with headings, links, images, etc. The editor is accessed by clicking on the “New Post” button on the Blogger dashboard.
Once you open the Blogspot editor using the New Post button, you will see the fields to write the title and content of your post. If you have ever used any text editor like Word, then you will notice that the formatting styles are similar in Blogger Post Editor.
- Title: Write the title of the post in the Title field at the top. The title should ideally be interesting and concise. It should be related to the content of your post. As a general rule of thumb, anyone should be able to tell what the post is about by just reading the post title. You can finalize your post’s title after you write your article, to more accurately describe the post’s content in a few words.
- Content: You can write and format your post’s content easily by adding headings, text style, and hyperlinks using the editor toolbar. Images and videos can also be uploaded using the toolbar and you can also embed YouTube videos directly into your blog post.
- Labels on the right side of the new post window are the topics or tags of your blog post. Tags are a good way to organize your posts into different categories in Blogspot blogs. Blogger uses the term Labels for tags and categories of blog posts.
- Permalink or post URL is the web address or link of the post once it’s published. The URL of the blog post is generated automatically from the post title bur you can change the URL before publishing the post. Click on the permalink option on the right sidebar and check Custom Permalink to change the default URL of the blog post.
- Post Metadata: You can also add a post location and other metadata from the sidebar options, but it is optional.
- Preview: Once you have composed your post and are ready to publish your first blog, it’s always a good idea to preview your post. Click on the Preview button next to the Publish option on the top right of the editor window to proofread.
- Publish: If everything looks good in the preview, then you publish the post using the Publish button. You will be redirected to the newly published post page and this post will also now show up on the homepage of your blog.
Tips for Writing a Good Blog Post
- Make the title interesting and to the point, avoid using titles that aren’t related to your post’s content.
- Make an outline of your blog post before you start writing. This will help you in writing and to stay focused on the topic.
- Start with the introduction of your post’s main topic and then build your content progressively to the main body.
- Make it personal, people want to see your personality when reading your posts. So, don’t hesitate to write informally and use words like I and you to make a connection with your readers.
- Get to the point and avoid going on tangents when writing a blog post, stick to the original outline.
- Write short sentences in your post, as long or complicated sentences are harder to read and understand for blog readers.
- Add paragraphs, headings, and lists to your content to make it easily readable.
- Provide valuable content to your readers, so they would want to share it with others and would want to come back.
- Conclude your blog posts with a summary or a paragraph about the main point of the article.
- Add call to action in your post like asking the reader to comment, share, or follow a link to your other posts.
Create Blog Pages
Blogspot pages editor is similar to Blog post editor. Once you open the New Page editor, you can write and publish a page to show it on your blog. Follow the following steps to create a page on your Blogspot blog.
- Click on the Pages tab in the Blogger dashboard.
- Open page editor using the New Page button.
- Write Title and Content of the page in the editor and click on Publish.
- About Page: This can include information about yourself, who you are, your interests, and what the blog is about. You can also add your social media links for people to find and follow you on other platforms.
- FAQs: You can add a page to answer all the frequently asked questions so that you don’t have to repeat your answers. This can also cover information that you think people might be curious to know.
- Contact: A contact us page is added for those that may want to reach you for an offer or to ask you something. You can add your email or social media links as contact options. Just be careful to include information about yourself that you are comfortable being publicly available on the internet.
Blogger provides a collection of free themes that can change the style and look of your blog. You can follow the following three steps to change the default theme of your Blogspot blog.
- If you want to change the default template of your Blogger blog, then go to Theme section in the sidebar of Blogger dashboard. There you will see a list of free blogger themes.
- You can click the preview button next to any theme to see how the blog looks for that template without actually making any changes.
- Once you select the right theme for you blog, you can activate the new template and see the changes by going to your Blog address.
Blogger also allows you to apply custom templated to your Blogspot blog if you don’t like the default themes. These custom themes can be downloaded from any Blogspot templates site that are available on internet. Some are paid and others allow you to download Blogspot xml template files for free. Blogger templates are downloaded with a xml file that can be uploaded to Blogger to apply the custom theme. Use the Backup option in Theme to upload custom Blogger templates downloaded from other sources.
You can also edit the source code of Blogger themes to add custom features to your Blogspot site. These features are for advanced users but are easy to learn once you are experienced with editing Blogspot template.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is a process of improving your website or blog to increase its visibility in search results. People discover your website when they search for specific queries and your blog post shows up in top results. SEO is used to optimize your blog so that it can rank higher in search results and bring web traffic to your site. You can increase your blog viewers by ranking higher in search results of your target keywords in search engines. Keywords are queries you would type in search engines, like Google, if you are looking for something.
For example, for this guide the keywords would be “Blogspot Guide”, “How to start a blog on Blogspot”, “Blogger guide for Beginners”. This complete guide is optimized for similar keywords. This helps search engine understand the content of a blog page and rank it for these keywords. The basic purpose of SEO is to help search engines discover and understand the content of a webpage. This is a simple explanation of SEO to get you started with the concept of search optimization. There are a lot of online resources that can help you learn advanced SEO techniques.
There are more than 200 ranking factors that Google uses to rank a page in the search results. These factors ensure that only quality and valuable content is shown for all queries. SEO of your blog means that you would have to improve your chances of ranking higher in search results by following Google’s guidelines. There are three levels of SEO that you can work on for your Blogger blogs;
- Your blog loading speed is an important factor that you should consider while choosing a blog theme. As some themes slow down your site speed, that hurt your blog ranking and also gives bad experience to your reader. Make sure your blog loads quickly and choose a minimal Blogger theme.
- Your Blog should look good on both mobile and desktop browsers. Make your blog responsive by choosing a responsive theme. Most of the default Blogger themes are responsive by design.
- Add blog description using the settings tab in your Blogger dashboard. Keep the blog description short and simple.
- Post titles and content should include target keywords and write comprehensive blog posts that cover the complete topic.
- Use custom permalinks in Blogspot Editor to choose shorter blog post URLs.
- Add a short description of your blog post in Blogspot Editor briefly describing what the post is about.
- Write original content on your blog and don’t copy someone else’s work. Search engines penalize plagiarism in blog posts by not ranking them in search results.
- Promote your site using social media platforms to get shares and likes. Make your post shareable by using smart post titles and interesting images.
- Learn about keyword research and use popular keywords with low competition in your blog.
- Use Google Search Console to track the performance of your Blogger blog and see what queries your posts are ranking.
- Post consistently and keep updating your blog with fresh content as search engines love blogs that are updated regularly.
Custom Domain for Blogspot Blogs
Blogger platform provides a free Blogspot subdomain for all blogs. The blog address by default is a Blogspot subdomain in the format “example.blogspot.com”. This is the same blog address that you choose while creating a new blog. Blogger allows you to add custom domain to your blog.
The default blog URL always has a blogspot.com at the end. If you want to have a blog address like example.com or any other custom domain name. Then you can point any domain that you own to your Blogspot blog following these simple steps;
- Open Blogger dashboard and go to Settings tab of your blog.
- Scroll down to Publishing sections in Settings page
- Click on Custom Domain and enter the domain name in the dialogue box.
- If you didn’t already buy a domain name, then click on the Buy A Domain button in custom domain dialogue box.
- If you Google Domains is available in your country, then you can purchase a domain name directly from Google domains within Blogger. Look for a [dot]com domain as they are most widely used on internet. A domain with [dot]com extension will cost you 12$ per year if you buy it using Google domains.
- If it’s not available in your country, then use Godaddy.com to buy a new domain. If you already bought a domain then, enter your domain address in the dialogue box.
- Once you click Save, you will be asked to verify your authority to this domain.Follow the instructions to change the DNS record in GoDaddy dashboard. Add the CNAMEs provided in the instructions highlighted in red. See Blogger Guide detailed instructions specific to your domain name provider.
- Once you have successfully attached a custom domain to your Blogspot blog, enable on redirect domain in publishing section of settings.
- Your blog should now be accessible from your new custom domain URL.
Blogspot Blog Monetization
Once your blog start getting regular views you can monetize your blog to start earning money. Earning revenue from the blog may not be your end goal but you can easily monetize your blog traffic using AdSense and/or affiliate marketing.
Adsense ads on Blogger
AdSense is a ads management platform by Google for publishers to serve advertisements on their blog or website. Ads you see on most websites and blogs are managed by Google AdWords. Publishers use AdSense to place relevant Google ads on their websites and earn revenue share.
Adsense accounts go through an approval process based on the content and number of visitors to your Blogspot blog. So, before you create Adsense account and link it to your blog, you should post quality content and increase blog views. Google Adsense shares revenue earned by clicks on adverts placed on your blog. Average Adsense revenue per thousand views to a blog ranges from 1$ to 3$ and it can increase or decrease depending on the type of your blog content. Revenue depends on the topic of your blog, type of ads shown and number of visitors to your site. So, as a blogger your first priority is to create quality posts that people will want to read.
- Once you are ready to place ads on your Blogspot blog, you can follow the following steps to setup Google Adsense on Blogger.
- Open Earnings tab in the Blogger dashboard of your Blog. Your blog earnings and advertisement details will be displayed here once you have linked an Adsense publisher id.
- If you don’t have an account linked to your blog, click on the Create Adsense Account button. You will be redirected to new account creation page.
- Fill in your information for the Adsense account and complete the sign-up process.
- Once your blog is approved for displayed ads by Adsense, you will receive an email and Blogger Earnings tab will also show that Adsense publisher id is linked to your blog.
- Choose the layout of ads you want to show on your Blogpsot blog by selecting one of three options. It might take some time before ads start appearing on your Blog.
You can view the report of your revenue from the blog by logging in to the Adsense site using the same email id you used for Blogspot. You get paid once your total earnings reach a hundred dollars.
Affiliate Marketing Blog
Affiliate Marketing is another way to earn revenue from your blog or website by referring potential buyers to affiliate products and earning commission from sales. Most sites that sell products or services have affiliate programs for publishers and content creators.
Amazon has one of the most popular affiliate programs that shares 4% to 8% commission on every sale you bring to their platform. You can sign up for Amazon affiliate program once you have some content and regular visitors to your blog. Once you are approved as an affiliate you can embed referral links within your blog post to recommend products. You can also write review posts on your blog and provide affiliate link to product page. You earn commission from every sale made through your affiliate link. This method is a great way to increase your Blogspot blog revenue once you start getting readers to your blog.